Guest post by Tonja Thompson
News flash! Superhero themed parties are not just for boys or the typical comic book geek. In fact, ladies can throw a superhero party that is fabulous, sexy, and just the right amount of nerdy. Fun for birthdays, bachelorette parties, or just because, a women’s superhero party will make sure the crime fighting isn’t left up to the guys. Here are a few tips and tricks to throwing your own female-focused superhero party:
The invitation is what will draw your friends to your party. Decorate the card to give an idea of the theme of the bash:
- Have a sparkly pink “S” on the front or make the invites in the shape of a flowing cape.
- On the side of the card, write something like: “The world is in trouble and needs your help! You are invited to save the day at _____’s superhero party!”
- Don’t forget to tell your friends to dress in their favorite sexy superhero costumes!
Of course, decorations are what will really set the mood for your event. Here are some fun and festive ideas:
- Decorate your party space with colored streamers that match some of your favorite female superheroes or super villains (black for Catwoman, Blue and Red for Wonder Woman, Green and yellow for Poison Ivy).
- Have a superhero movie playing in the background or find old episodes of Batman featuring the sexy Catwoman.
- Put up pictures of sexy women superheroes on the walls along with cut outs of comic book sayings like “Pow! Zap! Kabam!” Frame pictures of the ladies, too, and set on the bar or snack table. Another item to frame? Cut-outs from comic books!
- Set up a photo booth with a superhero themed backdrop so guests can take their pictures. Have a night sky or cityscape backdrop and point a fan at your guests while they are getting their pictures taken. They’ll look like they are flying through the night sky, and will make for some choice Facebook profile pictures.
Dressing up in a sexy superhero costume is easy, thanks to all the awesome women superheroes and superhero villains out there.
- Some ladies to take costume inspiration from include: Supergirl, Batgirl, Spider-Girl, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Silk Spectre, and Catwoman.
- You can also create your own superhero costume with a leotard, fishnet tights, and a pair of killer high heeled boots.
- Accessorize with a generic eye mask and your own superhero logo. A logo can be easily made out of fabric and then glued on your costume.
- To make sure everyone something to wear, have superhero accessories scattered around the party space for your guests.
Even superhero ladies get the munchies. Make your treats memorable with these ideas:
- Feed your hungry superhero friends some delicious finger sandwiches. Use cookie cutters to make them into superhero shapes including bats, the letter “S”, stars, lightning bolts, and so on.
- For dessert, make cupcakes with a “Pow!” or “Zap!” cutout sticking out of it. Another idea is to label each cupcake with a different superpower such as super strength, invisibility, and flight.
- Make the party a little more exciting by adding drinks into the mix. Make girly drinks like margaritas or Long Island iced teas and re-label them with superhero names. For example, a margarita can be called a Wonder Woman and a Long Island can be called a Harley Quinn. One Harley Quinn on the rocks, please!
- Your ladies can show off their creative side by decorating their own superhero eye mask or mini cape. Provide glitter, fabric glue, ribbons and puff paint.
- After the party is underway, play a little drinking game that can last throughout the night. The rule is that you have to call someone by their superhero name only. If you are caught referring to someone by their real name, you have to take a drink! You can designate a special superhero drink for this purpose. Call it something like The Hammer of Thor so it sounds awesome and intimidating. For example, you can say “You called her Jane instead of Catwoman! It’s The Hammer of Thor for you!” Of course the more drinks you have, the harder (and more fun) it will be!
- Lastly, if you plan on going out to the bars or nightclub, bring a goofy superhero prop and see how many random people you can get to take pictures with the prop and your group. Don’t be afraid to show off your inner nerd while looking super cute!
Tonja Thompson writes for HalloweenCostumes.com, but more importantly, she is busy deciding if she’d rather dress as Supergirl or find a Harley Quinn costume for the superhero party she’ll inevitably throw.